Bringing up Baobao etc.

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Different Kind of Disaster

Mentally, I am always preparing for a disaster situation, breakout of bird’s flu or an earthquake. I certainly didn’t expect a financial melt-down would be spreading panic and pain on such a global scale.

It didn’t invoke fears on my part so much partly because I don’t quite understand the nature of the disaster. And I don’t go gambling or try to make money grow money. As it is supposed to be the crisis the world is facing, I do try to make sense out of it. And I attempt to gain my knowledge from the highest level of resource possible, like New York Time columnist Paul Krugman, who has just won a Nobel Prize in Economics.

Also I don't depart from my habit of doing the basic thinking. Natural causes aside, we look for the human contribution to any disaster. All this comes down to if we live within the limits or how far we set ourselves away it. Bad things happen when those who reach out to get what’s out of their reach. And there are those who have a lot want to have a lot more. And there are of course innocent by-standers who will have to endure like a natural disaster occurred.

It’s important for the human beings to keep testing our limits. It’s equally important, maybe harder to learn how to live within our limits. When people will spend less this Christmas, they will have more time to reflect how that lesson can be learnt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home